Rug Sizing Tips
Choosing the right area rug for your space can be a little frustrating if you have no idea where to start. We have compiled a few tips to help guide you through your rug selection.
• If your living area is a “great room” or multipurpose room, consider where you would like your furniture placed. If your furniture will be in the center of the room the best size rugs for this type of space would be a 8×10 or 9×12. This will allow the furniture to fit all on top of the rug.
• If your furniture will be along a wall, allow two legs of sofa, love seat, or chair to be on top of the rug. A 6×9 or 8×10 would be best in this setting.
• For a small apartment size living room a 4×6 or 5×7 will do. This will have all furniture off the rug with only the coffee table on top of the rug. Sometimes small rugs can make a room larger in certain situations.
• In the bedroom a 9×12 will work if you have a king size bed. An 8×10 will work for a queen. You want to allow around 36 inches of exposed rug around the bed. Another alternative is to use runners all around the bed. A 3×8 runner or a 3×5 will work, depending on the look you’re going for.
• Dining areas can be a little tricky. You want to keep the chairs on the rug when the chair is pushed out. Depending on your table, an 8×10 or 9×12 will do the job.
If you have any other questions regarding rug selections do not hesitate to come in to our showroom and talk to one of our design specialists. They will be able to guide you through size, color, and pattern selection.